Monday, December 31, 2007
Saturday, December 29, 2007
Every saga has a beginning..........
In 1991, my last year of school, I was the King of the Sixth Form Common Room, Sovereign of the Stoneheads and Joint Roller Extraordinaire. With my trusty guitar I regaled the room with my amusing ditties, but danger loomed upon the horizon. A whole host of long haired, guitar wielding, ditty singing clones were threatening to steal my crown, and I could not let that happen.
An album, a whole album, let them compete with that! I had just got my first four track and had discovered the pitch knob, indeed, Hickory Violet is a homage to the pitch knob (as well as Smiley Smile and Sid Barrett)
So here it is, my Surfin Safari, and knowing how the trilogy ends makes it all the more poignant. I would recommend listening to all three albums back to back if you have a spare three hours. Compare Lord of the Drugs to Space Rocket and hear how it all comes full circle. This album was recorded before it all went horribly wrong, but the hints are there.
Saturday, December 22, 2007
I am soon to be uploading the first album in the trilogy. After that I am considering four areas to catalogue.
1. The Acid Tapes. For each album in the trilogy there is a corresponding triptape. That's not to say I only took acid three times - oh no - but I did record three of my trips, each one markedly different, and each having a direct bearing on the album that followed. I am considering editing and uploading these as partners to their respective album in the trilogy.
2. Goodnight Eyeball. Before The Wrong Button, this was the original follow up to Listen To My Toes. A four movement experimental symphony boasting 99 tracks, it was never finished due to a mental breakdown. The first 10 or so tracks are finished, but I never joined all the bits together. There are also a lot of unfinished sections I am considering putting a suite together into a listenable order.
3. Trilogy outtakes and bonus tracks. There's a lot of this, and some interesting stuff.
4. Very early stuff. I'm considering calling this Treasures That Should Be Buried. There are some absolute gems.
Please vote in my poll, and let me know what you would like to hear. Please note there is no button for new stuff. It exists, some recorded but most in my head. Nothing for now but maybe in a few years.
Saturday, December 15, 2007
Here is the second installment of my musical trilogy, Listen To My Toes. I offer no explanation, as I prefer to let the album speak for itself. And speak it does. Like a fly caught in a can of Fosters, I have captured my 21 year old self, in all his student hating, dope smoking, telly watching. student hating, mirth making, taboo breaking, student hating splendour. It's even got gnomes in it (pyschologically they represent......, oh, I'll let you work it out)
So settle back, take your cue from the opening seconds and light up a fattie, it may make the next 74 minutes slightly more accessable. No, I make no apologies. Without this album there would be no Wrong Button, indeed, the Wrong Button follows on from Toes both musically, lyrically and literally. This is still my finest hour and proudest moment. Everything was alright as long as I didn't leave the house. I was, and ever will be, a legend in my own room. Forever the sesh goes on.
So now, after nearly 14 years, I invite the world to Listen To My Toes.
I have been alerted to the fact there are no track lisings in the file, so here are the track listings.
1) The Strangest Dream
2) Listen To My Toes
3) Vanilla Flavoured Shoes
4) There You Go Again
5) Crackle Crackle, Love That Noise
6) Domestic Violence
7) Histroy Repeating Itself
8) Ode To Clipper
9) Frank Butcher
10) Country Sounds
11) Would You Still Love Me
12) Fairytale Abstractions
13) Talking To Tarquin
14) The Music Police
15) Thermonucleur Underwear
16) Gallant Great and Golden Green Eyed God
17) The Trouble With Cupid
18) Stoned Trek
19) Rat Tat Tat, Sound
20) The Archeologist Song
21) Minor Adjustments To Ypur Mind
22) And It Goes Like This
23) Unhealthy Despair
25) Doing The Wiggly Wormy
26) Gary Parry RIP
27) Pipe Concerto Mvmt 1
28) Pipe Concerto Mvmt 2
29) If You Discover Your Shoes Don't Fit